Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 5

I posted yesterday's dress to my Facebook and it was a big hit. My SIL and cousin liked it so much they want dresses like that for their daughters. One of my friends called dibs on the dress but I think I'll give it to another little girl. I gave her little sister a Modkids Kyoko dress earlier this year and I think she wants a little something handmade too. She tried it on today and was so happy. I told her she could have it next week after I finish the last touches.

Went to the the store last night and got thread to match my purple twill and poplin. I'm excited to be able to sew with them now. This is the first twill I've had and after prewashing it it is so soft. I just want to run my hands over it. I forgot to take a swatch of the Stenzo poplin but I didn't have enough money to buy more thread anyway. I really might just topstitch the pants I make with it in white.

I actually sewed during the day today. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, I had to clean up my room first so I could sew in it and time flew.

I sewed another Chickpea bib. I didn't want to use the half yard of  Valori Wells Flannel I have left and the scrap of some other flannel I have wasn't big enough, so I pieced together some batting and used it. It was kind of a bad idea since the batting is not prewashed. I don't know what I'll do. I really wanted it to be flat. I have enough fabric for another bib top but no more black fabric for a backing.

I had some issues applying the snaps to the bib. First I put on two of the same side of the snap. I had to borrow my brother's solderer to get it off. I split my thumbnail trying to get it off before it wanted too. Then I smashed the next snap by doing it off center. I finally got it on and decided to add one more set of snaps so the neck could be adjustable.


Materials: Fabric: Echino Car, Alexander Henry -  June Dot Snaps: Kam Snaps
Pattern: Chickpea Bib  from Chickpea Sewing Studio (Free Pattern)

I sewed these pants at the same time. I wanted to be efficient so I sewed portions one after the other and took the bib and pants to iron at the same time. I was going to embellish these but the waistband went wrong. They're one part of clothes sewing that I'm really going to have to work on. I'm not so good at it. I put a tag in the waistband (sewed a narrow length of fabric then ironed so the seam was in the back, folded it over and tucked it into the waistband). The next time I do that I'll use Wonder Tape to hold everything in place. I forgot to get a photo of the tag. I was rushing to get these in before I went to the library.  It's right up the street from me but today's weather was unpredictable. Sunny one minute, then grey and sprinkling, grey or sunny and pouring rain the next. I really wanted to pick up Oliver + S's Little Things to Sew and Embroidery For Little Miss Crafty. I had to order them through inter-library loan and have been anxious to peek inside them.


Materials: Fabric: Fabric from a pair of Walmart bermuda shorts
Pattern: Basic Newborn Pants from Made by Rae

I added some snaps to a wrap onesie I made from Nefertari Creations free pattern last month. They don't match perfectly and I had to use some smaller white snaps at the crotch but I think it will do for home clothes. It'll probably be grown out of quickly anyway. I also made a matching pair of pants Made by Rae's newborn pants pattern. I added a cuff to them but the edge got stretched out. Today I cut off the old cuffs and sewed on new ones. It's not perfect, but it is better than it was before. Knits and I are still nemesis but I hope if I work on it some more we can one day become best friends. I took photos of the outfit but the color seems off and the photos were blurry. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. My camera's battery gave out while I was trying to take the photos too. It's all charged up now. Contemplating what to make tomorrow. I'm kind of scared the project with the plaid that I had lined up for today. It has a collar, something I've never done before. I guess I should jump in feet first.

No comments:

Post a Comment